YOBO: I WANT TO PLAY
Posted: Feb 06, 2013
Super Eagles captain Joseph Yobo is keen to be involved in the action as the team faces Mali in the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations semi-final here in Durban on Wednesday.
The Nigeria captain has been upstaged by the young centre-back pair of Godfrey Oboabona and Kenneth Omeruo since he copped an ankle injury against Burkina Faso in Nelspruit.
Although he has returned to full fitness since that Group C match, he has struggled to get playing time, coming on as a late substitute in the Eagles’ last two games as the team tried to close out games.
“I’m the captain of the team and I’m happy to help the young players by guiding them,” Yobo said at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Tuesday. “But I want to play. I’m here to play and help my country win the competition and this will be my last Nations Cup.
“I want to play and give everything I can to the team before retiring from the national team after the 2014 World Cup.”
When asked what he thought about meeting up again with Mali’s Seydou Keita, whom he met at the FIFA U-20 World Cup when they were both juniors, Yobo replied: “I can only answer that if we meet on the pitch. We’ve come a long way.
We’re both captains and we both want to lead our teams to victory.
“I wish I could be on the pitch tomorrow (Wednesday) to show Keita what I can do.”
The game holds at the Moses Mabhida Stadium at 5pm here (4pm Nigeria).
Today on Complete Sports
Most Recent Stories
- » MARTINS SCORES 3RD GOAL IN 4TH GAME (0 comments)
- » Ogu, Michael to Join eagles on Wednesday (0 comments)
- » HEARTLAND DOWN ABS, GO ATOP LOG (0 comments)
- » Rangers Pip CS Sfaxien 1-0 (0 comments)
- » Newcastle U. 0 - 1 Arsenal (0 comments)
- » Standard Chartered Trophy Final 2013: Nigeria Targets Gold (0 comments)
- » OBUH NAMES PROVISIONAL SQUAD FOR U-20 WORLD CUP (0 comments)