The law-making arm of FIFA, the International Football Association Board, has approved testing of video technology to aid match officials, FIFA announced on Saturday.
FIFA said on their website that experiments will be carried out over a two-year period starting no later than the 2017/18 season before a final decision is taken on whether to adopt the technology permanently.
The trials will allow referees to call on the video assistance to help determine four categories of game-changing moments — goals scored, red cards, penalties and mistaken identity.
“We have taken really a historic decision for football,” said new FIFA president Gianni Infantino at a press conference in Cardiff.
“FIFA and IFAB are now leading the debate and not stopping the debate. We have shown we are listening to the fans, players, to football.
“We are applying common sense. Of course we have to be cautious but we are also open to taking concrete measures.”
Infantino has previously admitted his concern that the flow of football should not be affected by the introduction of video.Watch The Premier League Live!! with EXPRESSVPN the #1 Trusted Name in VPN