CHELSEA READY TO TEMPT WITH £100m DEAL
Posted: May 21, 2012
Chelsea are set to break the bank to snatch Belgian wonderkid Eden Hazard from the grasp of Manchester’s big two.
Roman Abramovich has sanctioned a £30million swoop for the 21-year-old Lille winger and is set to hand him a five-year deal worth a staggering £100m – after tax.
That works out at almost £200,000 a week – an offer that will almost certainly blow both City and United out of the race.
Sources in France suggested that Hazard’s agent, John Bico, had travelled to London to seal the deal.
And Hazard’s arrival at Stamford Bridge would be a major signal of intent from owner Abramovich that he will once again spend what it takes to make the Blues a force in the Premier League.
City believed they had won the race for Hazard’s signature when he visited the Etihad Stadium as a guest to watch their 1-0 derby victory over United last month.
But negotiations between the club and Hazard’s advisers hit the buffers this week over their inflated demands.
Sunday Mirror Sport understands that City were close to agreeing a pay package that would have eventually seen the Belgian join the club’s top earners.
But the deal stalled over other “associated costs” being demanded by the player’s advisers.
With United haemorrhaging £250,000 a day to service debts of £420m, City were still confident that negotiations would eventually resume.
But the newly-crowned champions have been rocked by Chelsea’s late entry into the bidding.
Today on Complete Sports
Most Recent Stories
- » Amata Makes IAAF Diamond League Debut In New York (0 comments)
- » 3SC Appoint Busari Substantive Coach (0 comments)
- » Kenya Replace Oliech With Agogo For Eagles Clash (0 comments)
- » Kenya Begin Preparation For Eagles Clash Monday (0 comments)
- » Yobo Relishes Turkish Cup Win (0 comments)
- » Ugbade: Eaglets'll Start W/Cup Preparation In June (0 comments)
- » Lewis Hamilton Pimps Helmet With Cartoon Of Girlfriend And Dog For Monaco Grand Prix (0 comments)