Super Falcons Through To AWC
Posted: Jun 17, 2012
Spank Zimbabwe 4-0 ( 6 - 0 Aggregate)
Nigeria Super Falcons Saturday qualified for the 2012 Africa Women’s Championship after they thrashed Zimbabwe 4-0 in Lagos.
The defending African champions thus qualified to the biennial tournament to be staged in Equatorial Guinea in November 6-0 on aggregate having won the first leg 2-0 in Harare.
“This victory was expected and I congratulate the girls for going all out to do what was expected of them,” said falcons coach Kadiri Ikhana.
“The attention of the team will now shift to our friendly against South Africa next week because it will be a good test for my team.”
Perpetua Nkwocha opened scoring for the home team after six minutes of action at the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos.
Desire Oparanozie doubled this lead in the 14th minute to take the fight out of the visitors.
Esther Sunday then made it 3-0 before the teams returned to the dressing room for half time.
Veteran winger Stella Mbachu drove home a fourth goal 10 minutes after the interval to see the Falcons record a resounding home win.
They are now expected to host London Olympics-bound Banyana Banyana of South Africa next weekend also in Lagos in a friendly match.
When both teams first clashed a fortnight ago, it finished 1-1 in South Africa.
Today on Complete Sports
Most Recent Stories
- » Amata Makes IAAF Diamond League Debut In New York (0 comments)
- » 3SC Appoint Busari Substantive Coach (0 comments)
- » Kenya Replace Oliech With Agogo For Eagles Clash (0 comments)
- » Kenya Begin Preparation For Eagles Clash Monday (0 comments)
- » Yobo Relishes Turkish Cup Win (0 comments)
- » Ugbade: Eaglets'll Start W/Cup Preparation In June (0 comments)
- » Lewis Hamilton Pimps Helmet With Cartoon Of Girlfriend And Dog For Monaco Grand Prix (0 comments)
There are no comments