OKALA HAILS JONATHAN
Posted: Sep 17, 2012
Over Reward To Falconets, Disabled Athletes
Former Green Eagles goalkeeper, Emmanuel Okala, has commended President Goodluck Jonathan for adequately rewarding members of the athletes who did the nation proud at the London 2012 Paralympic Games as well as the national U-20 women’s team, the Falconets who finished fourth at the Japan 2012 FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup finals.
President Jonathan announced a reward of N5m to each of the six gold medal winners and N3m for silver medal winners as well as N2m for bronze medal-winning Paralympians.
The country’s number one citizen further rewarded each member of the Falconets team with N1m while their officials were given N1.2m each.
Okala who was part of the Green Eagles squad that won the 1980 AFCON in Lagos said it was remarkable for President Jonathan for recognizing those that have done the country proud instead of the usual presidential handshake.
“That is what it should be. Your country should be able to recognize and reward you if you did something great for the country,” Okala said.
“It was a good development. Jonathan has set a new record. He has indeed shown that those who portrayed the image of the country in positive light should be rewarded.
“It’s no more a matter of Presidential handshake. The athletes and of course the players can have something to plan their future from and I commend the President for this huge gesture,” Okala who was a former Enugu Rangers International goalkeeper and later Consultant on Goalkeeping Matters concluded.
Today on Complete Sports
Most Recent Stories
- » Standard Chartered Trophy 2013: Anti-climax Finish For Nigeria As Thailand Emerge Champions (0 comments)
- » Mikel Opts out Of Mexico Friendly (0 comments)
- » Yobo Eyes Turkish Cup Win With Fenerbahce (0 comments)
- » Thailand Win 2013 SC Trophy, Nigeria Are Also-ran (0 comments)
- » Beach Soccer Championship: Nigeria Draw Egypt, Civ, Libya (0 comments)
- » Davis Cup: Nigeria Coach Blames Injuries For Failure (0 comments)
- » Cristiano Ronaldo Shows Moves In Chicken Advert (0 comments)
There are no comments