Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has revealed that Diego Costa had been told he was not part of the London club's future back in January.
Costa, 28, scored 20 goals in 35 Premier League games to help the Blues win the title last season, but is not part of the squad that travelled to China for pre-season.
In June, Costa disclosed that Conte sent him a text informing him that he would not be part of the squad for next season.
Chelsea have already agreed a £60m deal with Real Madrid for their 24-year-old striker Alvaro Morata who is expected to replace Costa
"In January, the Costa situation was very clear for the club, for him and his agent," Conte was quoted as saying by various outlets on Friday.
"I don't like to talk about players that don't stay here – for me the situation is closed."
The former Juventus boss went on to praise the acquisition of Morata who he believes will bring experience to Chelsea.
"We have added a fantastic striker, even at a young age he has won a lot already and we are looking forward to welcoming him to the squad," Conte said of the Spain international.
"I think for sure this is a good signing for us. He is a young player, but has a lot of experience, he went to Juventus and Real Madrid. He has a lot of experience and this is good for us."