City Offer Otamendi Assurances

City Offer Otamendi Assurances

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has assured central defender Nicolas Otamendi he will have a pivotal role to play this season. The Argentina international is yet to feature for City in the Premier League this season, despite being a central figure for his manager during last season’s title procession.

Otamendi has been left kicking his heels on the subs’ bench during the opening four games, with Guardiola preferring to rotate a trio of skipper Vincent Kompany, John Stones and Aymeric Laporte.

The City chief has also been experimenting with a back three, which has seen the no-nonsense defender become the odd man out.

However, Otamendi, who signed a contract extension earlier this year, is said to be relaxed over the situation and has been told by the Catalan coach that his starting opportunities will increase again as the fixture calendar now becomes more congested.

The 30-year-old former Valencia man has been glad of the rest after the World Cup and is hopeful of a start when the Citizens host Lyon next Wednesday night in the Champions League.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
Pepperjam Verification