Gennady Golovkin says he will be able to see off Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez inside the distance if the Mexican fights angry. The judges couldn’t separate the two middleweights in their first fight last year as the contest ended in a draw.
Since then, Canelo has twice tested positive for clenbuterol, an asthma medication that can also help build muscle and burn fat, and has served a six month suspension – but has strenuously denied he intentionally took banned substances.
Golovkin has rejected his rival’s protestations of innocence however, and Alvarez’s promoter Oscar de la Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions says the 28-year-old wants to “fight angry” as a result.
The Kazakh feels if Canelo does choose to fight that way it will work in his favour, and ‘GGG’ is convinced he can secure a stoppage victory in Las Vegas on Saturday.
“This may be a rematch but it is a different story, a better story, a bigger story,” said Golovkin.
“This fight is the biggest level for me, 100 per cent. I am healthy and strong. I had my best training camp.
“I have the fight I want against the fighter I want and on the biggest stage. Why shouldn’t I be happy?
“If Canelo gives me a chance and fights like he claims he will, I will knock him out. It is time for the big drama show.”