Lazaar On Stand By For Toon Call

Lazaar On Stand By For Toon Call

Achraf Lazaar says he hopes to get a chance to shine in Newcastle’s defence if Paul Dummett’s injury keeps him sidelined for long. The Magpies could be without Dummett for Monday’s clash at Burnley after the Wales international picked up a problem during his country’s 2-1 defeat to Denmark in the Nations League last Friday.

 

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez has options to fill in for Dummett, with Javier Manquillo, Kenedy, Ciaran Clark or Fabian Schar possibilities alongside Lazaar. The Morocco international has yet to make a senior appearance for the club this season and was criticised for his performances for the Under-23s when they took on Middlesbrough last month, being replaced at half-time.

 

Despite having struggled to catch the eye for the reserves, the 26-year-old remains optimistic he will get a chance under Benitez. “I’m training hard and I also do some training to be ready and fit,” he told tuttomercatoweb.

 

“I’m honest: I signed for Newcastle and I expect to be taken into consideration. “But football is like that, something wrong can happen. But you must continue to do your job by respecting the choices. “Do not give up. Then in January if a call comes in I have to be ready.”

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0