Aidan O’Brien claims he will decide in the next 10 days whether Saxon Warrior will participate in the Irish Champion Stakes. The Ballydoyle handler is mulling over whether to take the 2000 Guineas winner to Leopardstown on September 15 after he followed up a narrow defeat to Roaring Lion in the Eclipse with a fourth-placed finish behind the same horse in last week’s in the Juddmonte International at York.
John Gosden’s grey was five lengths ahead of Saxon Warrior on the Knavesmire and it appears the virus which affected him earlier in the summer could be still lingering.
As a result, O’Brien will give himself just over a week to make a firm decision on whether Saxon Warrior will make the trip.
“He was very sick after Sandown. We had it in our mind if we got him back he’d go to York and then come back to Leopardstown and then we might go back to a mile (Queen Elizabeth II Stakes) at Ascot,” said O’Brien.
“The thing is now whether we give him another go at a mile and a quarter, because he was very sick and you’d have to say that he could come on a good bit from it.
“We’ll decide in the next 10 days.”