fbpx

Pellegrini Provides Carroll Update

Pellegrini Provides Carroll Update

West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini says he is confident Andy Carroll will be back in the fold after the November international break. The striker suffered the latest in a long line of setbacks during pre-season training, with his current ankle injury preventing him from featuring so far this term.

Related: Walker Returns For City

After completing his initial rehab, the 29-year-old returned to light training earlier this week but the medical staff are understandably taking their time with his recovery.

The Hammers already have Winston Reid and Manuel Lanzini out long term and with Jack Wilshere and Pedro Obiang also sidelined, received a further blow on Saturday when Andriy Yarmolenko ruptured an Achilles tendon in the 1-0 defeat to Tottenham.

Pellegrini says the squad have found the Ukrainian’s injury “difficult” to deal with and while he will have to rethink his approach ahead of Saturday’s trip to Leicester, he does have some cause for optimism with the improving fitness of Carroll.

The Chilean has been encouraged by the striker’s progress and says the club are confident that he will be ready to play again after next month’s batch of international games.

He told reporters: “Andy is sometimes working with the squad, other times he recovers in the gym. He is improving.
“I hope that he can after the international break, I am not 100 per cent sure when. Maybe the last game before the break, we will see.”

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0