By Richard Jeideaka & Johnny Edward:
Out-of-contract Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has confirmed to Complete Sports that he will extend his new deal with the Nigerian Football Federation this week after receiving a draft of the contract.
The 53-year-old tactician revealed that the contract papers were with his lawyers for them to study after which they will send back an agreement Wednesday to the NFF, confirming the story in Complete Sports last week that the former Togo and Mali boss would renew his deal with the federation.
The NFF offered Keshi a two-year contract expected to terminate after Africa Cup of Nations in 2017, Complete Sports can report.
“I don’t know yet what day I will sign but it will definitely be this week by God’s grace as I have received a copy of the contract,” he told Complete Sports exclusively.
He is expected to earn N5 million monthly as salary.
Meanwhile, General Secretary of Nigeria Football Federation, Dr Sanusi Mohammed, also confirmed that the ‘Big Boss’ has been offered a two-year contract to coach the Super Eagles and he is expected to sign the contract on Friday in Abuja.
He allayed fears of Eagles participating in the 2017 AFCON qualifiers without a coach, stating that the team will be adequately prepared for the task.
Sanusi said that Keshi will take responsibility of the team’s preparation as soon as the contract is signed, stressing that the federation will be given adequate support in its quest to book one of the tickets for the Gabon 2017 AFCON finals.
He sought the cooperation of Nigerians in the areas of sponsorship for all the national teams to get adequate preparation for international competitions.
“Let me say this that between now and Friday, Nigerians will know who the next coach is. It is only when you sign a contract that we would have a coach. So by Friday we will solve the lingering problem of Eagles coach. Nigerians have waited enough. So I don’t think that Friday would be too long for us to wait for the whole issue to be resolved,” he said.