Following the terrorist attack in France in the wee hours of Friday, where 84 people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice were killed, The Brazilian Government has granted the country's armed forces a cash injection of £17.8m to help beef up security during next month’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, it has been announced.
The extra funding comes after a request from the Ministry of Defence for the Government to make more money available for the extensive security operation at the games.
It also douse the fears of insecurity after police in the city of Rio threatened to go on strike during the Olympics and Paralympics last month.
“It is the amount needed for the defence forces to carry out their duties and it will be available,” Sports Minister Leonardo Picciani said on Rio 2016 channel.
Organisers have confirmed around 88,000 soldiers, police officers and other security staff will be deployed for the Games, representing a significant increase on those which policed London 2012.
According to Rio 2016, there will be a “strong and visible” presence of military on roads, at railway stations, airports and in major tourist areas, as well as competition venues across Rio 2016, during the event.
The funding boost follows criticism from Rio de Janeiro’s Mayor Eduardo Paes, who claimed the Rio State Government had done a “terrible” and “horrible” job of ensuring security in the city, particularly regarding violent crime.
Security has long been seen as one of the key concerns of organisers and local officials, with Rio 2016 chief executive Sidney Levy admitting “security is at the top of my list” of worries for the Games.
“We should never forget that these days we live in a society that's very in danger,” he said.
Unblock the FIFA World Cup with ExpressVPN the #1 Trusted Name in VPN